Britain’s Financial Times newspaper said today, Sunday, senior officials from Saudi Arabia and Iran had held direct talks in a bid to restore relations after 4 years of severance in diplomatic ties, but a Saudi official denied to the newspaper that talks between the two sides had taken place.
According to reports cited by the newspaper, citing officials it describes as insiders, the first round of Saudi-Iranian talks took place in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, on April 9, and included discussions of the Houthi attacks. against the Kingdom.
The sources called the talks “positive”, noting that it had been agreed to hold a new round next week.
According to the newspaper’s report, the Saudi delegation was headed by intelligence chief Khalid bin Ali Al-Humaidan.
The sources said Baghdad also facilitated the opening of lines of communication between Iran and Egypt on the one hand, and between Iran and Jordan on the other.
But the British newspaper said a senior Saudi official denied any talks between his country and Iran.