Eritrea told the UN Security Council on Friday that it had agreed to begin withdrawing its forces from Ethiopia’s Tigray region, in the first public acknowledgment of its involvement in the conflict there.
The confession came in a letter to the Security Council posted on the Internet by the Ministry of Information, a day after UN aid official Mark Lowcock said the organization failed had yet received no evidence of the withdrawal of Eritrean soldiers.
“With the imminent danger having largely disappeared, Eritrea and Ethiopia have agreed, at the highest level, to initiate the process of withdrawal of Eritrean forces and the simultaneous redeployment of Ethiopian units along the international border,” Sophia wrote. Tesfa merim, Ambassador of Eritrea to the United States. Nations.
This is a modal window.
We are experiencing an unexpected problem, please check and try again shortly
Error code: MEDIA_ERR_UNKNOWN Session ID: 2021-04-17: 880c21febc4e9f44339ad7da Trigger object ID: vjs_video_3
Eritrean forces supported the Ethiopian Federal Government’s forces in the face of the ruling party in Tigray, in a conflict that started in November, but so far Eritrea has repeatedly denied the presence of its forces in the mountainous region. . .
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed last month acknowledged the presence of an Eritrean in his country and, at the time, the United Nations and the United States called for the withdrawal of Eritrean forces from Tigray.
Lowcock told the UN Security Council on Thursday: “Neither the United Nations nor any of the aid agencies we work with have seen any evidence of the withdrawal of Eritrean forces … but we have heard reports that Eritrean soldiers now wear the uniform. Ethiopian Defense Forces. “
The conflict has claimed thousands of lives and forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes in the region of around 5 million people