Controversy continues in Egypt regarding the series “The Choice 2”, especially with regard to its handling of recent facts that Egyptians lived through and divided around, as the so-called “bias” of the series makers to the official narrative and presented it as the only approved novel, while followers confirmed that the series is a “doomed attempt.” “To falsify history and change the present.
After a fading out for several days, the controversy of this TV act escalated again after observers linked the authority’s taking last week to the implementation of wholesale death sentences, and the psychological charge that the events of the series inflated in the hearts of the supporters of the authority. Religious “as if in response to the demand of the masses.”
This work deals with the events of the period that followed the military coup in July 2013, to present the new authority’s viewpoint on the most prominent events, including facts whose effects are still present in the hearts of entire families, such as the massacres of Rabaa al-Adawiya and al-Nahda, whose victims were thousands of dead and wounded Egyptians.
It was also noticeable that the series issued final and final judgments on people whose cases are still in circulation in the courts.
The writer and art critic Hussam Al-Ghamri says that he expected that the second part of the series “The Choice” would not achieve a popular momentum like the one achieved by the first part, which has actually happened, according to what he told Al-Jazeera Net, because trying to channel people’s sympathy towards the police is very difficult because the police and their apparatus with daily contact With the fans on the street, and anyone who has experience with them knows that reality is different from the series.
Al-Ghamri considered that showing the police officers in this angelic image was “extreme naivety” by the drama writer, as exaggeration often had an adverse effect, and that was also adopted by the series of repeating a negative stereotype of the “Islamic” character by showing a malevolent sinister versus an angelic image of police officers. .
And the art critic expressed his belief that “the impact of the series will not be great, because the Egyptians are preoccupied with the file of the Renaissance Dam and its existential danger to Egypt, in light of a lackluster official performance in the face of Ethiopia’s provocations, which makes it difficult to sympathize and deal with any official narrative that glorifies organs and institutions, while This story belies the present reality. “
Al-Ghamry concluded that there are facts that are still fresh in the minds of Egyptians that would destroy the narrative that the series and behind it the authority tried to present about the fourth massacre specifically, including the resignation of Mohamed El-Baradei, Vice President of the Republic in the post-coup regime of July 3, 2013 in protest of the massacre. And also the statement of the Sheikh of Al-Azhar, Ahmed Al-Tayeb, commenting on the massacre and announcing that he was hiding in his home in protest and dismay at all this blood that was shed.
Reality is stronger than drama
For his part, researcher and expert in security affairs Ahmed Maulana says – in an interview with Al Jazeera Net – that the series will not change the reality of the facts of pre-biased segments, whether from the point of view of the authority or the opposition.
As for the general public – Mawlana adds – there may be some influence that he thinks will dissipate over time, citing the example with films such as the terrorist, whose public success did not prevent Egyptians from electing Islamists in parliament during the rule of the late President Hosni Mubarak, or in parliament and the presidency after a revolution. January 2011.
Mawlana stressed that the daily lived reality, and direct contact with the security services, has a continuous and renewed impact, greater than the impact of any movie or series that quickly falls into oblivion.
Rumination of lies
As for the former Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Press, Qutb Al-Arabi, he considers – in statements to Al-Jazeera Net – that the whole series is an attempt to falsify events, according to the official version, as is the case in many series produced by an intelligence company.
Al-Arabi, who belongs to the Muslim Brotherhood, said, “The series rages lies that were told by the regime’s media at the time, and which were quickly dispelled because it did not stand up to the facts.” (From the peaceful sit-in) in view of the security grip imposed by the coup authority on the media at the time.
He stressed that the safe passages for the exit of the protesters, which the series showed, were not safe at all, as they were a trap to kill and arrest the protesters while they were leaving. He also accused the series makers of deliberately mixing the Muslim Brotherhood with other groups, as it portrayed them as if they were working under a unified leadership.
Although the “Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis” group claimed responsibility for the assassination of National Security presenter Muhammad Mabrouk – Al-Arabi says – the series insists on accusing the Brotherhood, and while the defendants are still before the courts, the makers of the series issued verdicts against them and condemned them as “confirmed perpetrators.”
Al-Arabi considered that the aim of the series is to “brainwash” the new generations who were young and unaware of the reality of what is happening around them at that time, calling for the “neglect” of the series ‘narration of events because it is “fallen today and tomorrow with the departure of this system, as all previous regimes’ narratives have fallen.” By its fall. “